April 13, 2014

The Novel's Own Time and Place

Dear M,

I hate to admit it, but today when a load of work came in, I was so relieved that I did not have to work on the novel. Don't mistake me: I love my novel and all I want is to polish it to perfection. There are only a few more things to be done on it. But one does get miserably bored of reading it a million times. There is no novelty, first of all. You know what's going to happen. You have no shock, no surprise, no emotion whatsoever. All that was spent in the first writing and the second reading.

I can't wait for the day when I can be rid of that novel once and for all. It is keeping me from my next masterpiece, and it is not becoming "complete" either. I want to see it published, of course; if ever that cycle begins, I will be happy to be working on it again, but as long as there is no promise involved, I just want to toss it to one side.

If it has a future, I suppose it will find it. A novel has its "time and place" too.

Love.

Like this post on Facebook!

No comments :

Post a Comment